I wanted to give you an update on my infertility journey. :-) Last night, we went to see our specialist and talked to a nurse that is in charge of a new IVF study (http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00615251?term=ivf+and+progesterone&rank=2&show_locs=Y) that my doctor wants me to be a part of. After reading and signing the consent form (22 pages long) she was able to start all the diagnostic testing on us (blood tests, physical, vitals, etc.). She said that if we don't hear anything from her then that means that I have not been excluded from the study, which most likely will be the case. I am to contact her when I start my next cycle (period) so that we can begin the process!
The best thing about the study is that the whole IVF procedure will be free of cost. The only thing that is our responsibility to pay is for the fertility drugs and anesthesia that will be used during the egg retrieval. So the worst case scenerio is that we will be paying about $5000. Which is a huge cost savings when the procedure usually costs around $18,000. So...we are so blessed and excited to be a part of the study. Just so you know, the progesterone drug that I may taking is still experimental, but it is in phase 3 of the testing, so it is pretty safe. Also, the nurse was able to give me some approx. dates of when things will be happening since I was able to give her an estimation of when my next cycle will start. Here's the time line (of course, this could always change by a week or so):
4/26: Expect period
4/28: Blood test and ultrasound
5/1: Start birth control pills
5/17: Start lupron injection (this will suppress ovulation)
5/21: Last birth control pill
5/25: Expect period
5/28: Start fertility meds (injections)
6/8: Egg retrieval
6/11: Transfer embryo(s) back to me
6/23: Pregnancy test
Wow....amazing huh? I know this might be a lot of TMI (to much information) for some of you so I apologize...but going through this whole process has really taken away any privacy of what my cycle is and stuff like that. So, of course, I will keep you updated on my progress...but if you could keep me in your prayers I would surely appreciate it :-) I know God has led me to this point and am hoping that He will bless me with a pregnancy on the first try. :-)
April 16, 2008
Infertility Update
Posted by Anonymous at 10:34 AM
Labels: infertility
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Your Mom and future Grandma feels God is working in your life so perfectly and has such a special plan for you, Jesús and your baby(s) I am so proud of you my dear daughter, and love you more than words, as always, you are in my prayers and are my blessing of blessings. Thank you for sharing all this information, making even something so private so special to those of us that are praying for each step of your journey.
Post a Comment