May 8, 2008

Infertility History

I figured that I should start journaling my experience going through infertility. I will start first with a little history and factual items. In November of 2005 I started tracking my monthly cycle. It was then that I realized that I had a problem because my cycle (time between periods) would last anywhere from 35-50 days which isn't normal for me. I was referred to a gynecologist who "specialized" in fertility problems. He did several blood tests and determined that everything was normal, but I wasn't ovulating on a regular basis. So, he recommended that I take Clomid (a low grade infertility drug) for 6-8 months to see if that would help me to ovulate and get pregnant. So, I started taking Clomid in June of 2006. Needless to say, I didn't get pregnant...however I did ovulate every cycle. My last month of taking clomid was in March of 2007. After that, Jesús and I decided to take the summer off because by then we were both pretty stressed out. During this time, we started attending a new church. I joined a women's small group and shared with them that I was struggling with infertility. That is when one of the women told me about Dr. Charles Miller. She said that there were a few ladies a church who went to him and he was able to get them pregnant using advanced treatment. As the saying goes "If Dr. Miller can't get you pregnant, no one will". So, I schedule an appointment to see him in October of 2007. Everything went well so Jesús and I decided to give it another try. They told me to give them a call the next time I started my period. Of course, this cycle I never started my period. So, we ended up going in again and Dr. Miller gave us our plan. He said that there was an IVF study that was starting in 2008 that he would like us to try to be in. We were excited about that because we knew we would save money. However, he said if we couldn't get in the study then he wanted me to go through 2 cycles of IUI (inter-uterine insemination) and if that didn't work, then go to IVF. He also wanted to do surgery on me to make sure everything was normal inside. So, I had the surgery on Feb. 11th, 2008. On my follow-up appointment Dr. Miller told me that he was able to clean out some build-up I had in my uterus. He also determined that I had polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). He confirmed that the study was still going on and wanted to get us to enrolled in the study because he said we were perfect candidates for it. So...that brings us up to date. I will write more in my next journal entry.

0 comments: